Today I did some brush washing so I thought I would go through my cleaning process for brushes.
On an average day, I will normally use my Sephora travel kit (similar to this Slim Set) that has a blush, large shadow, crease, smudger, and liner brush, as well as a few random other (Elf, Neutrogena, etc.). For nicer occasions, I will pull out my Sigma face and eye sets.
I try to clean either my "daily" brushes or the Sigma set all at once so I don't have to think which are clean and which I didn't clean yet. I use Johnson's Baby Shampoo as my brush cleanser because it's mild and doesn't have a strong scent.
1. Wet brush, angling brush down towards the sink, as not to saturate the handle (especially for wood handles).
2. Wipe brush back and forth in small amount of baby shampoo in your palm, until any product seems clear of the bristles.
3. Run brush under water until water runs clear (again angling down), using fingers if necessary.
4. Press all excess water out of brush bristles.
5. Let rest, angled down, or off the side of a table until dry.
The important things are not to get too much water into the base or handle of the brush so they don't loose contact with the bristles and to use a mild cleanser. You can buy a special brush cleaner, or use an antibacterial hand soap or baby shampoo (my choice). Some people even use a mild dish soap like Dawn mixed with olive oil, which conditions the brushes at the same time.
I use the vase shown in my picture filled with beads you would use in a flower arrangement to keep certain brushes I use often handy.
I hope this helps!
What are your favorite brushes and cleaning methods for them?