Thursday, March 19, 2015

Duel: Maybelline Ultra Liner Waterproof Liquid Eyeliner vs. NYC LiquidEyeliner

Maybelline Ultra Liner Waterproof Liquid Eyeliner vs. NYC Liquid Eyeliner
For the record, I bought these both last week and both in black.  They are both completely new to me.  I have been trying to find a good alternative to felt tip liners as they dry out too fast and I don't find them easy to do a cat eye with.

Let the duel begin!

Maybelline Ultra v. NYC Liquid Liner

Maybelline Ultra Liner Waterproof Liquid Eyeliner

From Maybelline.com:  
• Waterproof liquid liner delivers all-day wear
• No skipping, no smearing
• Precision brush for perfect application
• Safe for sensitive eyes and ophthalmologist-tested (contact lens safe)
Shades: 2 - Black, Brown
Size: .25 fluid ounces
Price: $5.49 [Target]

My thoughts: This brush was a bit harder to work with than the NYC.  I didn't find the formula as fluid as I thought it would be. The product tended to cake up a bit where I went over it trying to get a bit more pigment. It tended to flake off even if you ran your finger over it (not 100% waterproof ).  I did put some on the back of my hand and it stayed in through water, but not soap and water.  I also ran some water over my lid and it stayed, but I didn't put down or rub at it.  So I think swimming would be safe but probably not rubbing your eyes after because of the flaking.

NYC Liquid Eyeliner
From www.newyorkcolor.com:
Ever dreamed of having Audrey Hepburn's glamorous look?
NYC New York Color will make you look as charming as New York’s most famous actress with its Liquid Eyeliner.  Just elongate your lash line to shape and define your eyes like never before.
Choosing your style has never been so easy, with its mistake-free applicator, do fine or bold lines without the fuss.  You’ll get the Oscar of the hottest intense look.
  • Deep and strong color
  • Perfect line, high-precision applicator
  • Fast-drying, smudge-resistant formula
  • With skin conditioning ingredients
  • Dermatologist tested
  • Shades: 2 - black and pearlized black
    Size: 0.5 fluid ounces
    Price: $2.99 [CVS]
    My thoughts: This had a much better brush than Maybelline.  It was muchc more pigmented and opaque than the Maybelline as well.  It was almost in between a laquer and matte finish.  I found it stays on if you don't rub your eyes.  It definitely didn't flake off or get patchy where I built it up.
    NYC (L) v Maybelline (R)

    WINNER: NYC Liquid Eyeliner
    The pigment, opaque formula, and smooth application made this one the winner for me.  The brush is better on the NYC liner as well and the pigment doesn't fade out as fast with one swipe (as you can see in the photo above).  At about three dollars cheaper than the Maybelline Ultra Liner, it's a true bargain as well!

    No comments:

    Post a Comment